About the School - Hebrew Public Charter Schools for Global Citizens, a language immersion school that operates K-8 schools throughout New York City, has announced that they will be filing an application to open a school on Staten Island's North Shore in 2019.
Language Immersion - The above video discusses language immersion techniques and how they benefit children of all ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds. Similar to Chinese, Greek and Arabic language immersion schools located throughout New York City, Staten Island Hebrew Public will help students become proficient in the Hebrew Language and enhance their ability to learn other languages throughout their lifetime.
Take the Survey - The organization is asking for community input. Those interested can visit sihebrewpublic.org to take the survey or host a meeting by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
According to their website - "Hebrew Public Charter Schools use a proficiency-based approach to foreign language learning. They assist students to develop at different rates in all four language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing. Students can often listen to and recognize Hebrew words long before they are able to use them in their own writing or speaking.
"Public schools across the country offer dual language programs in a wide range of languages, including Chinese, Spanish, Greek, and Arabic. These program, which have grown largely in response to demands from local communities, are a proven way of getting students more engaged in their studies, building literacy, raising academic achievement, and preparing children to live and thrive in a global, interdependent environment. The incorporation of an intensive focus on a foreign language in a school’s curriculum supports positive evidence-based learning and developmental outcomes in students.
HEBREW PUBLIC’S UNIQUE MODEL FOCUSES ON:
- Rigorous instruction in English Language Arts (ELA), math, science, social studies, Modern Hebrew language, music, art, dance, physical fitness, and chess.
- Immersive Modern Hebrew instruction, bringing Israel to life in the classroom.
- Individualized math and English language arts learning paths for each student.
- Advanced STEM curriculum, including technology integrated into the curriculum.
- Supportive services are available for English Language Learners and special education students.
- A curriculum designed to develop students’ attributes of global citizenship: empathy, cross cultural understanding, and inclusivity.
- Extended school day and year.
- After school options and yellow bus transportation available.
Staten Island Hebrew Public is a public charter school teaching the Hebrew language. It is not a religious school.
For more information visit their Facebook page or website.